PHOTOS FROM THE 2014 MINI MAKER FAIRE
Click here for the full photostream »
WHAT IS MAKER FAIRE?
Maker Faire is the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth—a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity and resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker movement. It’s a place where people show what they are making, and share what they are learning.
Makers range from tech enthusiasts to crafters to homesteaders to scientists to garage tinkerers. They are of all ages and backgrounds. The aim of Maker Faire is to entertain, inform, connect and grow this community.
The original Maker Faire event was held in San Mateo, CA and in 2013 celebrated its eighth annual show with some 900 makers and 120,000 people in attendance. World Maker Faire New York, the other flagship event, has grown in four years to 600+ makers and 75,000 attendees. Detroit, Kansas City, Newcastle (UK), Rome, Oslo and Tokyo are the home of “featured” 2013 Maker Faires (200+ makers), and community-driven, independently organized Mini Maker Faires are now being produced around the United States and the world—including right here in Albuquerque.
About MAKE Magazine:
MAKE is the first magazine devoted entirely to Do-It-Yourself (DIY) technology projects. MAKE unites, inspires, informs, and entertains a growing community of resourceful people who undertake amazing projects in their backyards, basements, and garages. MAKE celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend any technology to your will.
Besides the magazine and the faire, MAKE is:
- a vital online stream of news and projects, blog.makezine.com;
- a retail outlet for kits and books, the Maker Shed;
- a steady stream of fun and instruction via our YouTube channel;
- Make: Projects, a library of projects with step-by-step instructions
- a publisher of best-in-category titles via Make: Books, including introductions to electronics,
- Raspberry Pi, 3D printing, Arduino and more.
THIS YEAR AT ALBUQUERQUE MINI MAKER FAIRE
This year at Mini Maker Faire – Christian Ristow from Taos set up his “Face Forward” Check out this video from 2012 where Christian describes “Face Forward”. He also provides an excellent overview of what Maker Faires are all about:Face Forward / Christian Ristow from Jagged Melon Productions on Vimeo.
Inventor, Storyteller, Hobbyist, Tinkerer, Artist, Musician…
Who is a maker?
- Makers are people who embrace the do-it-yourself spirit whether individually, or in teams.
- Makers create, build, invent, re-purpose, hack, alter or otherwise change and improve the world around them through thinking and creativity.
- Makers use Arduino, circuit boards, wood, clay, fabric, LEDs, metal, plastic, robotics, yarn, sewing machines, computers, hot glue guns, paint, batteries, fire, electricity, recyclables – just about anything you can imagine.
Spread the word
You are welcome to help spread the word about the event or promote it on your website or social media profile. Download the logo below to post and link back to our main webpage: http://www.albuquerque-minimakerfaire.com
“Today’s DIY is tomorrow’s Made in America” President Obama proclaimed June 18th the “National Day of Making”. Read more about the proclamation here »